Nail Fungus Laser Treatment: A Combination Approach.
The unsightly problem of nail fungus (or onychomycosis) affects as many as 1 in 5 Canadians. Nails can appear yellow or brown in color with uneven texture and often a thickening of the nail. Nail fungus is a cosmetic concern and spread through contact. One can contract nail fungus by in public places like pools or showers or by living in close proximity with someone with fungus, or sharing shoes or socks.
Treating nail fungus has been difficult historically and prescription medications have been shown to be have the risk unwanted side-effects or not effective topically.
Laser treatment has emerged in 2010 as an alternative to oral and topical remedies with a reported success rate of over 70% with laser alone.
To ensure the best chance of a successful treatment outcome, we employ a combination approach using multiple treatment options, education/home-care, in-shoe sterilization and optional prescription or non-prescription remedies.
Treating Nail Fungus From All Angles
Here at Westside Laser & Light, we avoid oral prescription medication at all costs with our nail fungus treatment primarily because they are known to have numerous unwanted side-effects. We have developed a combination approach that substantially increases positive outcomes.
- Fractional laser treatment – tiny holes are prepared to allow for topical remedies like oregano oil or prescription medication to penetrate deeply.
- Laser Genesis treatment – creates heat in the nail-bed to kill the microorganisms.
- SteriShoe UV Shoe Sanitizer – kills 99.9% of fungus in your footwear with ultraviolet light.
- (optional) Prescription topical JUBLIA – is a new and safer prescription that is applied on the toes.
- (optional) Wild-Oregano spray is an effective natural remedy for treating fungal infections.
- Education / Home-Care – Last but not least, it is important to understand where fungus can be contracted, how to avoid it, how to care for your nails during treatment, and more. Treating nail fungus is a partnership between the clinic and the patient.
Each item on the above list performs a vital role in a successful treatment series. Not all cases result in successful outcomes but we find that our approach gives one the best chance for eliminating nail fungus completely.