This Roman poet and philosopher nailed it! Why is there so much conflicting advice about nutrition? Why are there, literally, thousands of nutrition books on the market? Lucretius was right:
- Dietary needs are NOT one-size-fits-all!
- Your cultural heritage and genetic makeup are unique to you!
- Your stressors, whether they are internal (think food sensitivities, hormone imbalances, gut bugs) or external, (boss is a jerk; your relationship is a disaster) are unique to you!
- Your body is a finely-tuned chemistry lab, and stressors, be they internal or external, are very good at throwing your body into metabolic chaos (read dysfunction).
- Symptoms will appear: things like fatigue, allergies, insomnia, irritability, acid reflux, low libido; the list is endless.
- Functional nutrition, like functional medicine, approaches these very common but not “normal“ symptoms by determining root cause.
Functional nutrition knows that your food is SO much more than calories. Food can be the best kind of medicine. Certain nutrients can improve detoxification pathways, help you sleep, improve your mood, and enable better energy. Most exciting to me is the area of epigenetics, which is a field of scientific research currently proving the influence diet and lifestyle can have on genetic expression! How powerful is that, to know that your genes don’t control you; you control your genes! Best of all, functional nutrition is all about empowerment – giving you the tools to achieve your best health now and stay healthy for Life!
So let’s stop talking “diet” – I dislike that word – and quit eating like everyone else! Let’s sit down and figure out what makes YOU achieve your BEST HEALTH!
Call today for a free 10-minute consult to see if functional nutrition is right for you!
Shauna Gourley, CHN, FDN®
MY FAVORITE SNACK FOOD!!
- 3 avocados – mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 3 tbsp chopped organic cilantro
- 2 organic Roma tomatoes
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
In a medium bowl, mash together avocados, lime juice and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes and cayenne pepper. Refrigerate one hour for best flavor – or devour immediately. Instead of corn chips, which can be inflammatory, serve with cut-up veggies, and gluten free Mary’s seed crackers for a healthy snack!
Here are the reasons why you should incorporate avocado into your diet frequently! In a 3.5 ounce or 100 gram serving there are:
- Vitamin K – 26% of RDA
- Folate (the real thing – not synthetic folic acid) – 20% RDA
- C – 17% RDA
- Potassium (so many people are low on this important electrolyte) – 14% RDA
- B5 (stress buster) – 14% RDA
- B6 (PMS buster) – 13 % RDA
- E (antioxidant) – 10% RDA – also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous, Vit. A, B1, B2 and B3 (Niacin). All of this along with 160 calories, 2 grams of protein and 15 grams of healthy, brain-loving fat. With 9 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams are fiber, so there are only 2 net grams of carbohydrate.
What is Functional Nutrition?
Shauna Gourley, CHN, FDN®
”What is food to one man is bitter poison to others.” – Lucretius